Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Assam Ko Prawns (Tamarind Juice Prawns)

Daniel and I are like the two biggest fan for prawns. Whenever we are out with the family, we are being showered with prawns (my family, and if there's prawns). Che is allergic to huge prawns (Daniel always tells me how he cannot imagine being allergic to ANY food for that matter), second sis is a small eater and the rest needs to be careful of their food intake. So it's up to Daniel and sometimes I, to eat them. Daniel is much slimmer, so he gets more encouragement to eat. =P

So mum got this super huge prawns for me and I just decided not to use them with stir fry vege cause it'll be such a waste. So I decided to google for recipe to make my all-time favourite Assam Ko Prawns. It is extremely easy to make!!! Love this new discovery of the art of cooking cause everything used to be hard for me.

Ingredients
6-8 prawns (or depending to how many people you are cooking for)
1 1/2  tablespoon of assam/tamarind paste (mix with water later to make assam juice)
1 1/2 tablespoon water (to be mixed with assam paste)
1 tablespoon of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
a pinch of salt
oil to fry

1. First, wash your prawns clean. You can opt to peel your prawns but I love sucking out juices from my prawns so I decided to leave the shells intact. Do trim the prawns a little (cut off the legs etc)
2. Add water into tamarind or assam paste and squeeze tamarind juice out of it. Do not throw the seed away.
3. Add sugar and salt into tamarind juice and taste it a little. Add more sugar/salt if you want to.
4. Pour the mixture into a container with the prawns and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. The longer you marinate it, the better. Up to 2 hours.
5. Add oil onto pan and pan fry the prawns with the juices until it is well-cooked. I like to put in the seeds of the tamarind as well. You can choose to throw away the seed before frying.

As the recipe I followed, I did not add dark soy sauce as it'll be darker. You can opt to add a little for a nicer colour. BEST to go with white rice!


Pardon the quality. Still using ipod to take pictures cause I lost my camera a few months back. =(


3 comments:

  1. thanks..you should try it too.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for giving Prawns recipe and simple to make. Number of Non Vegetarian recipes and these recipe are good tasty and healthy also..

    ReplyDelete