Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cream Puff with Custard Filling Attempt #1

I have been trying to make some easy to go snacks so that the boyfie can bring to work or munch at home. Now that he is not working anymore, I am going easy on that. Anyway, if I were to make anything this week, I have him to do it with me. Baking alone can be quite tiring especially if you have one medium-sized oven and you need to make many batches. If your oven is huge then it's okay cause you can put a few trays at one time.

Back to the cream puff story, I got the recipe from a friend's facebook (Lily) and jumped onto the task right away (after months of procrastinating) without really research on a proper steps and stuff. So that's my first mistake. Second mistake was that I did not look up for a yummilicious custard filling first. Will work on that. I just googled for another recipe and you can follow this recipe as well. =)

So this recipe is really pretty easy

Ingredients you need
For the pastry
250 ml milk (can be replaced with water)
85g butter (or margarine)
160g flour - sifted (I used super fine flour but I think normal wheat flour will be okay)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt (omit if you are using salted butter)




Method:-
1. Heat water (milk), salt and butter to a rolling boil; reduce heat. Tip in the flour and stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms into a ball, about 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat. Add in the eggs, one at a time while beating until dough mixture is smooth.
3. Heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit
4. Use rounded teaspoonfuls (or tablespoonsfuls, depending on the size you like) or a piping bag to make mounds of dough set about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. I made smaller ones.
5. Bake puff until they are puffed and golden brown. About 20-30minutes and let it cool.
6. Slit each puff halfway and put in custard filling.





** Reminder: Do not take the puff out to check on them or switch off the oven before it is well cook, otherwise it will collapse. Happened to mine. =(


Custard Filling
3 egg yolks
200 g sugar (adjust the amount to your preference)
750 ml milk
20 g flour (1 1/2 tbsps)
20 g corn starch (1 1/2 tbsps)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method:
1. Beat yolk and sugar until white. Pour in milk bit by bit while mixing until sugar is melted.
2. Put in flour, cornstarch, vanilla and mix until smooth.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and is thick.
4. Cool before putting into puffs.

I did not follow this custard filling recipe cause my friend did not put custard filling and I don't know how to make it. So I randomly put custard powder and sugar and water and make into very rich yellow cream. Not as nice. Just found this and I'm all excited to make cream puffs again now.









No comments:

Post a Comment