Monday, July 23, 2012

Kim Chi Stew

Korean food is one of my favourite food (alongside Japanese and Nyonya). I can almost never say no to Korean food as the chances of having them is rather rare. All cause of the price and also the fact that we cannot share (some rules in the Korean food restaurants in Penang).

Anyways, my favourite are always bulgogi and the stews. I did try a bulgogi sauce which I made two whole big bottle of but they don't actually taste like bulgogi that I have in Dao Rae. Will blog about that some other time since today I did not cook bulgogi.

Today, I decided to cook Kim Chi stew since I still have leftovers of Kim Chi since my last craving for Korean food some weeks ago.

Ingredients
Soup base
3 table spoon of Pre-packed Kim Chi (or up to your liking but it can get rather sour).
1 table spoon of hot pepper sauce (you can get this at any Tesco outlet in Penang - cheaper than Korean grocery shops here, the same for the kim chi.)
Salt to taste

6 big Prawns
Minced pork
Sliced Chicken
Cubed carrots
4 Chinese dried mushrooms (soaked till soft before adding)
1 tube Japanese tofu

1. Add 3 table spoons of pre-packed kim chi into a pot of 100ml water (you can add water later). Then add the hot pepper sauce.
2. Mix in minced pork, sliced chicken, cubed carrots.
3. Let it simmer for a while before adding tofu, mushrooms and prawns as these cook faster. Add salt to taste. Let it simmer for a while more.

Makes a good pot of kim chi stew with everything inside. Perfect for single person meal or two person meal. If single person, half the ingredients. Easy and fast. You can eat it with rice or any noodles of choice.

 Hot pepper sauce

 prepackaged kimchi.



1 comment:

  1. I have never made anything with kim chi but now I am tempted too, esp with prepared packet.

    ReplyDelete