Thursday, July 19, 2012

Salted Fish in Tamarind Juice (Ikan Masin Masak Belanda)

This is by far one of my most favourite food in Ah Ma's kitchen. Each time I am home, she will cook this (if she has any salted fish) because we are the two people in the house who appreciates salted fish as much as the onions. My family loves onions and if salted fish are cheaper (damn expensive now), it will be a very cheap dish that perhaps poor people eat back in those days. I got to cook this because my sister went to Pangkor and got me some salted fish (Ikan Kurau ones). I know right? I damn aunty, my sister went Pangkor and got me salted fish and anchovies to cook. T_T.

My grandma is a self-claim Nyonya who wears sarung and not pants, who cooks all sorts of Nyonya food but really is not a Nyonya at all. Oh, the comfort of wearing sarung. I suppose this dish is one of the Nyonya food she cooks.

Anyways, this dish is fairly simple with just a few ingredients.

Ingredients you need:-
Salted Fish (meaty ones, try to avoid the ones with bones)
Chopped Garlic
4 Onions (cubed)
1 Red Chili
Tamarind Juice
Sugar

Method
1. First fry the salted fish and remove them into a plate.
2. Then fry till fragrant chopped garlic, onions and red chilli.
3. Mix in tamarind juice (I use tamarind pulp and add in some water to make the juice). At this point, you have to taste your sauce, if it is too sour, add in some water.
4. Let it simmer a while and add in some sugar for that sweet taste. Add in your salted fish into the pan.
5. Simmer a little while before removing them onto plate and it is ready to serve.


So extremely easy and so extremely yummy. Need to go home and learn more tricks from the granny.

No comments:

Post a Comment